giovedì 12 giugno 2008

I am a Theology Professor of the Pontifical and Royal University of Santo Tomas

I am a Theology Professor of the Pontifical and Royal University of Santo Tomas. I graduated from the Ateneo de Manila University in 2005 with a Bachelor of Arts degree Major in Humanities which was made up of courses in writing, literature, art and languages. I am currently finishing my Master of Arts degree in Liturgy at San Beda College with a Thesis on the Classical Roman Liturgy of the 5th to 8th Century. I had worked at ABS-CBN before becoming a Math Teacher at the Ateneo Grade School for two years, where I taught math in four levels. Now I am teaching Theology 1 (Contextualized Salvation History) to two freshman sections (Engg and IPEA), Philosophy 5 (Christian Ethics) to one sophomore class (SpS), and Sociology 9 (Marriage and Family) to four junior sections (Sps, BOT, Music, Ar) and one senior section (Com). That is three different subjects to six different colleges. Now try to connect everything in the previous two paragraphs and join me in the confusion and the amusement at the mystery of God's will. God continues to reveal himself to me as a God who's will is beyond logic. Sa tagalog, malakas ang trip ng Diyos. Today, I began my long day, which starts at 7 am and ends at 7 pm. My first class at Engg was at 7 and traffic was bad along Spain. I arrived on time. The guard at the lobby however stopped me and asked where I was going. I showed him my teaching load. And he goes, "Ano yan?" I answer, "Teaching load." "Huh?" he seemed puzzled. "Ito po yung binibigay sa mga professor." Two students who were talking to him when I arrived laughed. "Ikaw kasi e, prof pala yang kinakausap mo." At Arki, the IR coordinator introduced me to the people at the Dean's office. Apparently they had thought that I was applying to be a student the day before (I was confirming my class schedule). The apprehension of everyone in the department is that the students might take advantage of having me as their teacher but I've been teaching for two years. The Ateneo gave me a very good experience of teaching and the other things teachers must do. And now I find myself in another situation where things I've learned in the past are very much useful. And besides, even if I look young (and because I am young), I STILL HAVE THE POWER OF THE GRADE. I told my classes that I expect them to be matured and to behave maturely and that I do not need to make them stand at the back of the room or stand outside the classroom. Which, however, I can still do. Now, I am in the process of designing my courses. Fortunately, liturgy gave me a broad perspective of things which is why I am able to have broad insight into the subjects I teach. I have come to know how the ancient Fathers did it and their ways were far more effective than what I had experienced in the course of my education (no offense to my teachers). My students this year will have one hell of a semester and hopefully, I can help them reach heaven (the wholesome heaven).

Nessun commento: